Wednesday, December 9, 2009

blade mistress

Or something like that.. this is more fun than I had in a while tho, and that's why I'm sharing the WIP. It started with a weird sketch that was inspired by 2h of deviantart browsing (which means it's 99.7% manga/anime oriented). She had a way bigger head/hair before I went over on the second round of detailing/paint-covering of her head.

I just like the fact it's just a girl and all I get to play with is the sexy and the "scy-fi-ish" part of it. Oh yeah. Another thing I tried was to keep the colors planned out before I went too crazy. Gonna be trying to work with dark and muted blue-greens and bright strong red-oranges.

*edit* Just called it done and here's the product. Don't want to be spending too much time rendering something that's just a concept study. I did enjoy it a lot tho =D.

Cheers! Have sum beers!

4 comments:

Mark Simmons said...

Hiya Theo! Love the rendering technique, and the subdued color scheme is really great. Have you done any full-scale illustrations in this style yet, or is this just an experiment?

theo said...

Hey Mark! Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your comment.
I don't believe I have done any full scale or complete illustration with bg props etc on that specific style yet. It is an experiment as far as learning process, and I hope I will remember some things I did on this one (like planning the colors ahead of time), which I usually underestimate, and keep doing it for my upcoming works. =D

Mark Simmons said...

The colors are definitely made of win here. The fairy you posted before was lovely, and I guess the basic drawing on that piece may have been a bit more polished, but the color handling really sets this one apart. Experiment successful! Keep 'em coming!

theo said...

Yeah you read me like a book (is it osmosis again?). Really the fairy took a giant load of time comparing to this one. I guess the experiment on that one was more about how much of redrawing and re-layering can I do on the same piece. And again, somehow this quicker study with the blade girl had me much more satisfied in the end.